A bridge between dreams and realities must be built to shape the future
Based on stories of Old Folks, Barangay Guadalupe was once a Sitio of the vast jurisdiction of Barrio Gabas prior to the year 1959, it was called “Utod” meaning “cut”. Early inhabitant occupied the expanse of two rivers that is from Cagnonoc settled farther across another river locally known as Lago-lago, now the site of the lower campus of Visayas State University.
Long before the Spanish “Conquistadores” set foot on the shores of the Philippine Islands and the establishment of Spanish Colonialism, our islands were composed of many settlements and villages each referred to as “Barangays”. Each Barangay was a community of more or less 50 to 100 families and has its linguistic roots in the Malayan word “Balangay” which means “boat”. Balangay supports contemporary theories on the origins of the Philippine people, that being, each original coastal Barangay formed as a result of a single or a group of colonist set ashore from another place of Malayan origin.
The Cabeza de Barangay, head of each barrio or local unit, was afforded special political privileges throughout the more than 300 years of Spanish rule. According to Governor Raon’s “Ordinances of Good Government” promulgated in 1768, the Gobernadorcillo would be elected in the beginning of each year by the outgoing Gobernadorcillo and 12 senior Cabezas de Barangay.
This provision was carried over in the Royal Decree of October 5, 1847 otherwise called the Municipal Election Law and slightly modified under the Maura Law of 1893, named after the Spanish Minister of Colonies, the law reorganized town governments in the Philippines with the aim of making them more effective and autonomous where the members of the Municipal Tribunal, constituted by the town executive and four Tenientes, were chosen by 12 electors, six of which were former Cabezas de Barangay.As the Spanish residents moved away in the early months of 1898, the reins of local government passed completely into the hands of the Filipino officials. Thus an election was held and Don Quirimon Alkuino clinched a victory as the first Filipino Presidente of Baybay. Later on that year after about four months, disgusted Gen. Vicente Lucban nullified the results and ordered a recall election. And ultimately, with the same pick Don Quirimon Alkuino at last victorious against the possible squandered lockout. On the whole General Lucban revised the barrios of Baybay to be named after their respective tenientes, thus Caridad was renamed "Veloso," Plaridel became "Alvarado," Bitanhuan was identified to "Coronado." San Agustin",
referred to "Sabando," Punta” mentioned as to "Virgineza," Pomponan” given to"Montefolka," “Gabas”, belongs to "Bartolini".
The system of barrio representation was subsequently incorporated in the Administrative Code of 1916 (Public Act 2657) and the Revised Administrative Code of 1917 (P.A. 2711) through the approval of Governor Francis Burton Harrison. The assignment of barrios and districts to Municipal Councilors were provided and the duties of the Barrio Lieutenant were defined. The revised Administrative Code also granted discretionary legislative power to the Municipal Councils to insure the life of all Barrio Lieutenants against accidents, murders or assault, for a sum not exceeding P1,000.00.
Throughout the passage of Public Act 2657, local leaders and settlers actively participated in the religious, political and socio-cultural affairs in Barrio Gabas as my mother the late Barrio Councilor Paciencia Amihan Espinosa always recounted to us how sitio Utod’s populace paid tribute to the mother barrio named Gabas. It was the decade of empowering leaders being assigned to their respective sitios to a step forward level of local governance.
Tay Pastor Amihan Siblings
When one traces the history of sito Utod, one finds that this village wasn’t free from agitation since this charmingly serene locality with simple clean and fragrant environs was the subject of expropriation sometimes in 1924. The establishment of a Provincial Agricultural School in Leyte though a Provincial Board Resolution creating the Baybay Agricultural School initiated by then Leyte Governor Salvador K. Demetrio signed on June 2, 1924 had have caused so much emotional disturbances to the people. Taking the place preciously valued by the inhabitant had cost lives by taking away their own innocent human lives all in the name for Agricultural Development in the country. For some displaced families moving to nearby locality was their last options. Family members who outlived during the backlash made mention of Bartolini, Poliquit, Amihan, Espinosa’s and some other descendant that were among those afflicted by the turn of events.
On November 13, 1931 enactment of the Philippines Legislature Act 3661 provided for the organization of a Council composed of a Barrio Lieutenant and a number of Vice-Barrio Lieutenants as there were sitios to assist the former in the discharge of his duties.
The first significant legislation by the Philippine Congress concerning barrio administration is Senate Bill No. 372 which became Republic Act 1245 on June 10, 1955 which provided for the election of Barrio Lieutenants and Vice-Barrio Lieutenants by qualified residents of the barrio.
The basic foundation for governing a sitio was laid upon the promulgation of Republic Act 1245 which entitled a sitio to have a deputy/vice lieutenant so as to assist the barrio lieutenant in the discharge of duties and responsibilities. Sitio Utod had laid claim of the first deputy/vice lieutenant in the person of Hon. Pedro Caintic, initiated his first term of office in 1930.
|Barrio Lieutenant Jesus Alba and Wife Nay Tiyang|
At this point of time September 9, 1955, Republic Act No. 1408 was enacted by the Philippine Congress, the barrio council became the smallest unit of government and greater powers and responsibilities were granted to it, a provision on law the election schedule was set every third Tuesday of January annually.
As a consequence to the enactment of RA- 1408 local leaders sub-served to ease the acquisition of lots for public consumption as required by law for the establishment of a Barrio unit. Thereafter the negotiation of a barrio lot set as a socio- cultural and sport site was acquired. A parcel of lot owned by Diosdado Piamonte Amihan was purchased during that year. The event was followed by another acquisition of a piece of land for the school site owned by the Israel Family, the documents of purchased were signed by then barrio captain in the person of Hon. Paulino Castones.
|Pres. Ramon Magsaysay and Vice-Pres. Carlos P. Garcia|
On January 6, 1956, Executive Order No. 156 was issued by President Ramon Magsaysay creating the Office of the Presidential Assistant on Community Development (PACD). Under this Executive Order, the Presidential Assistant is mandated to act for and in behalf of the President in all matters pertaining to community development.
A fruition of all the dreams, efforts and undertakings of the settlers came into reality thence on June 21, 1959 by virtue of Republic Act No. 2606, an act changing the name of barrio Utod in the municipality of Baybay, province of Leyte to Guadalupe. It was in that year the time of Philippine 4th congress 1957-1961 represented by Congressman Alberto Alguja a representative from the 2nd legislative district of Leyte. The municipality of Baybay along with the municipalities of Inopacan, Hindang, Hilongos, Bato, Matalom, Albuera, (Ormoc) which became a city only in 1947 and Kananga established only in 1950 all belong to the 2nd district of Leyte. Republic Act 2606 timeline the life of Guadalupe as a full pledged barrio signed by then President Carlos P. Garcia another President from the Visayas region.
Afterward on June 22, 1963, Republic Act 3590, otherwise known as the “Revised Barrio Charter” was signed into law by Pres. Diosdado Macapagal This legislation amends R.A. 2370 and expands the scope of barrio power. Membership to the Council was increased to include a Barrio Captain and six Councilmen.
Admittedly one of the longest sitting Barrio Captain in the history of Barrio Guadalupe was the two termers Barrio Captain Hon. Narciso D. Paraiso who served the council from 1965-1969 and 1969-1981 because there was no election during the era of martial law.
Other laws affecting barrio governance were enacted between 1966 and 1970 – Republic Act 4709 (June 18, 1966) R.A. 4898 (June 17, 1967), R.A. 5185 (September 12, 1967), R.A. 5676 (August 13, 1969), R.A. 6054 (August 4, 1969) and R.A. 6128 (June 17, 1970).
Immediately after the declaration of Martial Law on September 21, 1972, General Order No. 3 of the President was issued, ordaining “all barrios throughout the land to continue to function under the present officers and employees in accordance with existing laws. Letter of Implementation No. 7 dated November 1972 was later issued creating the Department of Local Government and Community Development (DLGCD) to implement the Integrated Reorganization Plan of the government under Presidential Decree No. 1. There were no less than 20 decrees promulgated by President Ferdinand E. Marcos affecting barrio governance after Proclamation 1081.
Historical events of mass migration to the place happened sometimes in the middle of 70s, groups of individuals and some other with families of construction workers influx to steady down to Guadalupe. The steadfast population growth brought about by the infrastructural and administrative development of the nearby agricultural institution as it morphed from the Visayas College of Agriculture into the Visayas State College of Agriculture such quantitative and qualitative transformation greatly affected the political, cultural and economic conduct among the people. Another mass movement of people that equally affected the course of people’s affair was that of the trans-migration of people from the interior barrios of the municipality of Baybay that had been displaced by disorderliness of the NPA movement during the mid and late 70s. The people fled from their place of origin to find comfort in the bosom of our beloved Guadalupe, the refuge to those who are afflicted in the turbulence.
The last Barangay election held before 1981 was on January 1972, by virtue of Commission on Elections Resolution 1069 promulgated on December 14, 1971. This election was followed after a lapse of ten years, when Parliamentary Bill 2125 was filed at the Batasan Pambansa calling for the suffrage. The bill was enacted into law on March 23, 1982 and approved by the President on March 25, 1982 as Batas Pambansa 222, otherwise known as the “Election Act of 1982. Term of office was increased from four years to six years. Election Day was set on May 17, 1982 and the term of office of Barangay Officials commenced on June 7, 1982.
Consequently and certainly, on June 7,1982in the eyes of the people the first title holder as baranagy captain went to Barangay captain Hon Casiano Israel. Barangay title sufficed after the era of martial law succeeding the position vacated by the predecessor barrio captain Hon. Narciso D. Paraiso.
Meanwhile, on April 9, 1981, Letter of Instruction 134 was issued to define the functions and establish staffing patterns and compensation scheme, of the National Barangay Operations Office. The Administration Code of 1987 incorporated the functions of the NBOO in Section 16 Chapter 4, Title XII thereof.
Under the New Local Government Code, the name Pambansang Katipunan ng Mga Barangay is changed to Liga ng Mga Barangay and this is organized for the primary purpose of determining the representation of the liga in the sanggunian and for ventilating, articulating and crystallizing issues affecting barangay administration and securing through proper and legal means, solution thereto.
The Declaration of Principles and State Policies of the framers of 1987 Constitution chosen by President Corazon C. Aquino, provides that “the state shall ensure the autonomy of the local governments”. Another section states that “the territorial and political subdivisions of the Republic of the Philippines are the provinces, cities, municipalities and barangays. This provision also appeared in the 1973 Constitution except for the last word wherein the word “barrios” was used. Section 3 of Article X mandates the enactment of the Local Government Code which shall “provide for a more progressive and accountable government structure, instituted through a system of decentralization, with effective mechanism of recall, initiative, and referendum, allocate among the different local government units their powers, responsibilities and resources, and provide for the qualifications, election, appointment and removal, term, salaries, powers and functions and duties of local officials and all other matters relating to the organizations and operation of the local units. The New Philippine Constitution was ratified on February 2, 1987. After two years of the ratification, the Local Government Code of 1991 or R.A. 7160 was signed into law by President Corazon C. Aquino on October 10, 1991. Later, on June of the same year, the Katarungang Pambarangay Rules implementing Chapter 7 of the Local Government code was issued by the Department of Justice.
On march28, 1989 a non partisan election conducted in an expeditious and inexpensive manner was held by virtue of RA 6679 this was originally pre-set on second Monday of November 1988 by RA 6653 but had been moved to March 28, 1989. The law provided that while the seven kagawads were to be elected by the registered voters of the barangay, the candidate who obtains the highest number of votes shall be the punong barangay and in the event of a tie, there shall be a drawing of lots under the supervision of the Commission on Elections.
During the term of Barangay Captain/Punong Barangay Hon Alejandro D. Solis in the early 90s the barangay through the council expropriated fund to acquire a parcel of land set aside for opening a diversion road presently referred to as Tavera’s lane hence the apportioned piece of land was owned by Tavera’s family.
Also in his time Barangay Captain Hon. Alejandro D. Solis in concurrence with the barangay council thru a resolution authorizing the executive chairman to sign and execute, for and in behalf of the barangay, the contract to sell between Mrs. Lelita N. Poliquit as vendor and the barangay as vendee, involving the property owned by the vendor located at ZONE 4, BARANGAY GUADALUPE, BAYBAY CITY, covered by XXX TITLES, containing an area of XXX SQUUARE METERS, and for other purposes. The said property is the present site of the Barangay Hall, Day Care and Health Centers.
In the mid 90s an unforeseen political development took place the separation of Visca had came to pass sometimes in 1995 to reckoned with the Visca community had long established to exercise their socio-political and area dispensation to Guadalupe. According to former barangay Captain Alejandro D. Solis that particular episode of the history was the consequence of peoples’ demand of Pangasugan on the argument that Visca belongs to them. The basis of their appeal to claim was the border maker positioned at the back of the Holy Spirit Church good enough to mark out the area between panagsugan and Guadalupe.
Another Barangay Captain that had made influential contribution to the advancement of the people was Captain Hon. Manuel Rom who sought to foster a safe learning environment for the school children. The Honorable Captain was an intermediary and an agent of change who can easily lend supports from local leaders. His endeavors set off to the laying foundation of a two classrooms building located at Guadalupe Elementary school and another piece of good deeds was the memento of the present day care center where our kids can quartered and be provided with a warm, stimulating, safe and reliable environment for nurturing.
Remarkably, the incumbency of Punong Barangay Hon. Monico C. Amihan had earmarked allocated reserves to bear the cost for the footing expenditures of the mini gym( phase I)that had been undertaken during his remaining years of his first term as Punong Barangay . The second term turntable the awaited completion of the mini gym structure with the protective cover (roofing) thoroughly painted except for the flooring that remained unchanged for decades.
Noteworthy to mention in the year 2006 his administration did not only established physical development but also evolved human resource renewal indeed at that point of time the Visayas State University the educational institution creditworthy for extension programs and in cooperation with the barangay council organized a five years development planning workshop.
Therefore, in all respect to the to the Punong Barangay Hon. Monico C. Amihan who was so determined to adopt the outcome of the integrated planning framework as the one to be followed in attempting to refine barangay economic programs, the guiding principle of which is the integrated correlation of targets and resources in the planning process.
Hereinafter, Punong Barangay Hon. Monico C. Amihan’s term had been served a spare of more than one year of the unfinished projects/programs was sustained by a well trained youth leader and a trend setter with a strong desire to execute a well meaning governance in the person of Punong Barangay Hon Alexander A. Abungan.
His leadership is a one of a kind being defined in a set of shared principles, values and rules that recognizes peers and people on which build a sense of belonging. The present council strongly agreed to the principle of cooperation and team building to which the group promotes barangay’s vision and mission.
The essence of the present governance contemplates on clear vision, meaningful goals, and right support with a provision of the right helps, delivered in the right way s and trusting the right persons
Right after the 2010 barangay election just a few weeks before the oath taking of the sitting council the collective effort of the team yielded to the mini gym flooring renovation. Subsequently, things being equal that is physical and human development considered to be equal importance so the council practiced